You are here


How to make a complaint

The options to make a complaint are as follows:

  • Fill out the online feedback form, providing as much detail as possible and setting out the desired outcome.
  • Call 13 1963 within Australia or +613 8427 2002 internationally.
  • Speak to any Parks Victoria employees in person.
  • Write to us at:
    Level 10, 535 Bourke Street
    Melbourne Victoria 3000
  • If you are unable to make the complaint yourself, we will accept your complaint from an authorised representative.
  • If you need help with English, a Parks Victoria Information Centre operator are trained to use telephone interpreters and will be able to take your call.
  • If you are deaf, or have a hearing impairment or speech impairment, contact us through the National Relay Service on 133 677 or visit
  • If your complaint is about improper conduct by Parks Victoria officers, it may be a protected disclosure.

What we do first

The person to whom you made the complaint will attempt to resolve the issue at a local level. If the issue is resolved, the staff member will contact you to ask if you would still like to lodge an official complaint. If you wish to make an official complaint, we will assess the complaint, question relevant officers and read any relevant documents.


We expect to respond to you within one month.

Your responsibilities

In making your complaint you are responsible for:

  • providing us with a clear explanation of the problem
  • providing us with suggested solutions you are seeking (if any)
  • giving us all the relevant information you have or know at the beginning
  • telling us new facts or letting us know if you no longer want help
  • co-operating with us by dealing only with the Complaints Officer
  • treating our staff with respect and courtesy.

If you feel at any stage that there is further clarification you can add to your complaint, please contact the nominated Complaints Officer. Likewise, if the Complaints Officer feels that your complaint is unclear or they require more information from you, they may telephone or email you to discuss.

Our responsibilities

Parks Victoria is responsible for:

  • handling your complaint professionally, efficiently and fairly
  • keeping you informed of our progress
  • giving you reasons for our decisions
  • treating you with respect and courtesy.

When a complaint takes longer to deal with

If our initial inquiries do not provide a satisfactory answer or reveal a bigger issue we will let you know and advise you of a revised time frame. It can take more time if we need to:

  • inspect large files
  • conduct interviews
  • visit sites.

Escalating complaints

  • If you are dissatisfied with the response you may request for your complaint to be escalated to a senior officer at Parks Victoria.
  • If you have escalated the complaint and are still not satisfied with the response, you can contact an external agency, such as the Victorian Ombudsman.