First Wannon Hiker Camp
Change of conditionsAdd change of condition
No change of conditions applyView all changed conditions for Grampians National Park
First Wannon Hiker Camp is a small clearing with limited space best positioned for small, single groups or individual walkers undertaking the remote overnight hike across the Major Mitchell Plateau. This camp is sheltered in a saddle at the head of First Wannon Creek and has minimal facilities.
First Wannon Hiker Camp is best accessed from Sheep Hills Carpark (12.7 km), Mt. William Carpark (6.8 km), or Jimmy Creek Campground (12 km).
Advance bookings and payment are required year round. Bookings are per person.
Site are non-allocated, please set-up in within the clearing of the hiker camp – total hiker camp maximum of 16 people. Sites are unpowered.
Infrequently serviced non-flush toilet – bring your own toilet paper.
No drinking water supplied, please bring your own.
No fires permitted – portable gas stoves only.
Leave no trace - please carry out all rubbish.
Register your trip
Prior to undertaking an overnight hike in the Grampians, groups or individuals must register with Brambuk - The National Park and Cultural Centre in Halls Gap. Groups must lodge a Group Activity Statement (GAS), while Individuals undertaking the hike must lodge a Trip Intention Form. For further information contact Brambuk on (03) 8427 2058.
Be safe, be prepared - overnight hiking
- Plan your route according to your group’s ability and experience.
- Each member of the party should carry a topographic map and a compass, and know how to navigate with them.
- Pack clothing suitable for a wide range of weather conditions, including waterproof rain jacket and pants, warm layers and clothing to protect from the sun.
- Check all equipment prior to departure to ensure you are properly prepared.
- Water is usually not available in summer and autumn.
- Ensure all group members carry at least 3-4 litres per person per day.
- Walkers should have a sound knowledge of first aid in a wilderness environment.
- If you are using a GPS, ensure the datum corresponds to the map you are using.
- Please follow minimal impact hiking principles.