You are here

Submit a Parks and Reserves event application

The following information outlines the application process and provides guidelines which must be considered when organising events on Parks Victoria Parks and Reserves.

To allow Parks Victoria to determine whether a permit is required for your event, please complete the Parks and Reserves event application to the best of your ability. Applications should be submitted to well in advance of the proposed event date.

Upon receipt of your event application, a Parks Victoria officer will contact you to discuss the availability of your requested site and to identify any further information that may be required in order to process your event application.

Please allow a minimum of eight weeks for the processing of your event application. A longer period is required for major events. Submitting an event application does not guarantee that your event will be approved. When reviewing your application Parks Victoria staff will consider the suitability of the proposed location for the event and confirm that the proposed activity can be permitted under the host park’s regulations.

Subject to your event application being approved, an event permit will be issued for your event by Parks Victoria. Permit fees are applicable to events on public land/waterways. Additional costs incurred by Parks Victoria to facilitate your event will be added to the event fee. An event permit will not be issued until the event permit fee and bond are paid in full prior to the event.

In the event of extreme weather conditions, a planned event may be cancelled by Parks Victoria in the interest of public safety.

Mandatory Documents

Event Operations Plan including the following:

  • A copy of the Event Map.  The map must:
    • Show the site map identifying where you would like to hold your event in the park;
    • Show the type and location of all infrastructure, facilities, vendors, entertainment, parking; and
    • For events such as cross-country running or mountain bike riding, please provide a detailed course map including start and finish locations.
  • A copy of a Certificate of Currency showing current validity of public liability insurance. You must have a minimum of $20m public liability insurance coverage for the event, noting Parks Victoria as an interested party. See checklist and example (PDF).
  • Full programme/running sheet of the event including bump in/bump out details.
  • Risk Management Plan.
  • A copy of your Safety Management Plan (SMP), if the event is operating under the rules/safety management plan of a national or state recognised body approved by the Safety Director.
  • A Site Plan and Infrastructure list detailing all structures, equipment, barriers, vehicles and selling locations.

If Applicable

Depending on the scale and nature of your event, the following documentation may also be required:

  • If you have not provided your Cancellation Procedure at Question 32 within the application, attach it as a separate document.
  • If your event involves children, please consider your obligations under the Working with Children Act 2005. A Child Protection Plan would be recommended to be developed.
  • Liquor Licence. Parks Victoria must approve the sale and consumption of alcohol at any event, after which the event organiser needs to obtain a liquor licence from the Victorian Department of Justice and abide by conditions of the permit. For more information, please refer to their website.
  • A Noise Management Plan outlining mechanisms to ensure compliance with State Environment Protection Policy (Control of Music Noise from Public Premises) No N-2.  For more information please refer to the Environment Protection Authority.
  • Occupancy Permits for a Place of Public Entertainment (POPE) issued by Building Commission for prescribed temporary structures. This document confirms your event complies with the Building Act and must be displayed at all times during your event.
  • Pedestrian and Crowd Management Plan.
  • Public Performance of Sound Recordings (PPCA Licence) for events that involve the playing of sound recordings or music videos in public.  For more information please refer to their website.
  • Resident Notification Plan. A notification letter to residents, typically requested for events involving road closures and amplified noise. Parks Victoria staff will advise during the planning phase if this will be a requirement for your event.
  • Signage Plan for directional, promotional, emergency, flags, banners and VMS.
  • Traffic Management Plan (TMP) prepared in consultation with VicRoads, local Council and Parks Victoria. The TMP must include parking, signage, signage distances, method of communication and traffic controller details and must be prepared by a qualified traffic management company engaged to provide traffic management services for your event.
  • Victoria Police Major Events Unit notification. Notify Victoria Police with full details of the event at least 2 weeks before the event.
  • Waste Management Plan for collection and cleaning.

If drones are proposed at your event, you must also provide:

  • Aircraft Operations Plan including:
    • Take off and land zone;
    • Proposed flight path;
    • Proposed exclusion zone; and
    • Proposed location of spotters.
  • Factsheets of all proposed aircrafts;
  • Remotely Piloted Aircraft License for all proposed pilots;
  • Operator’s certificate;
  • Operator’s certificate of currency of public liability insurance;
  • Job Safety Analysis; and
  • CASA area approval (if required).

If fireworks are proposed at your event, you must also provide:

  • On the Event Map (or a separate map), details of the fireworks fall-out zones showing minimum separation distances for loading/transportation and detonation of fireworks in accordance with the Dangerous Goods (Explosive) Regulations 2011 (reg 155).
  • A copy of the WorkSafe approval;
  • A copy of the Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) notification and approval;
  • Notification of Intention to discharge fireworks;
  • Job safety analysis;
  • Photocopies of the pyro technician licences; and
  • Certificate of Currency from fireworks provider.

Note: Fireworks will only be considered for events that are of state, national or international significance.